Make Sure Your Kids Are Ready for Summer Travel
Summer is upon us, which means the season packed full of road trips and vacations is here. With that in mind, we thought now would be the perfect time to tell you how to make sure your kids are ready for summer travel. Of course, with that, we mean make sure your kids are safe and secure within your vehicle, which is important even if you aren’t planning on hitting the road this summer. So follow the steps below to insure your children’s safety.
[ READ MORE: Toyota Safety Packages in Canada ]
5 Tips for Child Safety in Automobiles
- Inch Test & Pinch Test: After putting your child in their car seat, it is important to perform both of these tests. First, pinch the strap near the child’s shoulder. If the strap wrinkles, it isn’t tight enough, so tighten it up and repeat until it is snug with their shoulder. Then grab the seat as a whole and try to wiggle it around in the car. If it moves more than an inch in any direction, it needs to be tightened. Rinse & repeat both tests until everything is set!
- No Extra Layers: Sometimes you might think it would be a good idea to place towels or something similar between your child and their car seat, but that could actually have negative consequences in that the seat may not be able to function to the best of its abilities.
- Cool Off: If the interior cabin is a little too hot, the car seat might get hot to the touch. Just give the car a bit of extra time to cool off before situating your child in their seat, so that they don’t get too hot or burn themselves on the plastic. And remember, never leave your child unattended in a vehicle, especially on a hot summer day.
- Do Not Rent: Never rent a car seat, even if you are renting a vehicle. Bring your own car seat with you to insure your child remains as safe as possible throughout the vacation, as you don’t know the rented car seats history or, perhaps, how to properly use it.
- No Loose Items: Make sure that everything is secured to the floor or seats in some fashion, so that nothing could possibly become a projectile in the event of an abrupt stopping or even an accident.
Hopefully these steps help you prepare for your summer trips and keeping your kids safe. Remember that a vehicle with Toyota Safety Sense equipped will do a much better job at keeping you and your kids safe thanks to its numerous, advanced safety features. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to give us a call.
[ READ MORE: Toyota TSS-P Safety package Technology Award ]